The Consular Section processes the non-immigrant visa applications of Zimbabwean nationals and third-country nationals seeking to travel to the U.S. temporarily for business, pleasure, study, or work.
Please click here for our customer service statement to all visa applicants.
For general information about visas and the type of visa appropriate for your intended purpose of travel, please visit the U.S. Department of State Visa website.
For a complete A-Z listing of visa topics and information, please click here.
The following information pertains to visa applications made at the U.S. Embassy in Harare.
Note: Do not wait until the last minute! Inform yourself of visa application requirements and apply for your visa in advance of your planned travel dates. All applicants, including those renewing a visa, are required to appear in person at the US Embassy.
The Consular Section handles all public inquiries regarding both nonimmigrant and immigrant visa information. To contact the Consular Section, please send an email to: email@example.com or call 04-250-593, Ext 4751 between 13:30 – 15:00.
Visa Processing Times
The average processing time is 2 business days. If approved for a visa, applicants usually receive their visas the next business day. All applicants should be aware that the time given above is an average, and that the processing time of a specific case can vary based on individual circumstances and other special requirements.
Because of increasing demand for visa appointments and increased processing requirements and times, we advise all applicants to apply well in advance of their anticipated travel dates. For the latest visa appointment wait times, please visit the Department of State website
Fees and Forms
Beginning on January 1, 2016 all nonimmigrant visa applicants will be required to upload his or her own photo as part of the on line application process. Even if you are applying before that date, we encourage you to upload your own photo. If you are applying for a nonimmigrant visa using the DS-160 online form, upload your digital image as part of completing the online visa application form. Review the Digital Image Requirements for guidance.
At the time of the visa interview, each applicant must present to the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in Harare:
- A passport valid for 6 months beyond your intended stay in the U.S.
- Application Confirmation Page obtained at the end of making an on-line application.
- Appointment Confirmation Page obtained after making an appointment.
- One 5 cm x 5 cm passport photograph with a white background.
- On the date of the interview, each individual applicant applying for a visa is required to pay a non-refundable fee in U.S. dollars only at the Embassy.
Nonimmigrant Visa Categories
MRV Fee US$
Non-petition-based nonimmigrant visa B-1/B-2, C1, D, F, J,M & I
H, L, O, P, Q and R category nonimmigrant visa
6. In addition to the visa application fee, student (F/M) and exchange visitor (J1) applicants must also pay an extra fee called a SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) fee. As of October 27, 2008, the SEVIS was increased to $200 for new I-20 SEVIS forms for students and to $180 for exchange visitors. Additional information about SEVIS fee procedures is available at the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (USICE) website.
All application forms are available electronically on the Embassy website. Please note that all applicants must use the electronic version of the DS-160 non-immigrant visa application form and print out the completed Application Confirmation Page on a laser-jet printer. For more information, please see "How to Apply."
Application for Expedited Visa Interview
Please be advised that the visa section will consider requests for expedited appointments in emergency situations only, such as medical treatment for the applicant as well as any persons desiring to travel in support (for example parent caring for child) or to attend a funeral in the U.S. of an of immediate family member. The Consular Section will also entertain expedite requests from students who are unable schedule a regular appointment before the date their classes begin, and business persons traveling for emergency business meetings. To request an earlier interview date, you must first schedule a visa appointment online. Do NOT call or walk-in to request an expedited visa interview. Once you have obtained an appointment, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of your email, please include your original appointment date/time and a brief explanation describing your need for an expedited appointment.
Please keep in mind that your signature on any visa application form is your guarantee that all information you provide is true and correct. You are personally and legally responsible, even if a travel agent or someone else prepares documents for you. Any fraudulent documents or misleading statements may result in your permanent ineligibility for any future visa.
When you arrive at the Embassy, you will be guided through security screening to the Consular Section. Please note, you are not allowed to bring electronic devices, including mobile telephones, into the Embassy. We regret any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your cooperation.
As is standard practice around the world, we do not permit third parties to attend nonimmigrant visa interviews. This rule also applies to third parties who are American Citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents. If a third party has an interest in your case, please have them write a letter stating their interest and bring it to your interview. Minors may only be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Your interview can be conducted in English, Shona, or Ndebele, as you prefer.
No assurance regarding the issuance of visas can be given in advance. Please, do not make any binding travel plans until you have received your visa.
Detailed NIV Application Instructions
You will need access to the internet and a printer in order to fill-out the online application, upload your photo, print the confirmation sheet, and schedule an appointment for a visa interview. We regret that we cannot accept hand written applications.
- Please click here to go to our online application and appointment website. Note: You should have your passport, previous visa information (if applicable), and any other documents relevant to your intended travel to the United States ready and available for your reference before you start the application process. Also, be sure to select "Harare, Zimbabwe" as the location where you will be submitting your application.
- Once you are on our application and scheduling website, select the "DS-160 Electronic Visa Application Form" tab.
- The first page of the application contains instructions. Once you have read through the instructions, click "Start Application" on the bottom of the page.
- Be sure to select "Harare, Zimbabwe" as the location where you will be submitting your application.
- Enter the information requested into the appropriate spaces on the application. Be sure to answer all questions and to save your work often by using the red "Save" button on the bottom of the page. Your application will "time out" and all information will be lost if there is no activity within 20 minutes.
- Click the little blue circle with an "i" for instructions on any of the individual boxes.
- Your answers must be in English and must use English characters. If a particular question does not apply to your circumstances, do not leave it blank – Please write "N/A," or "Not applicable."
- The "Upload Photo Page" denotes the end. Upload your photograph and save your application. be sure to bring a copy of your 5 cm x 5 cm passport photograph with a white background to your visa interview.
- After the upload photo page, click "Review" on the red, bottom right tab at the bottom. Review the following pages to ensure the accuracy of the information.
10. The final review page should display the location information, "Harare, Zimbabwe."
11. If all the information is correct, click the "Sign and Submit" red tab on the right.
12. Read through the information on the signature page, and enter your passport number and the graphic code displayed. Click the blue "Sign and Submit Application" tab at the bottom.
13. Click the red "Confirmation" tab.
14. Print the Confirmation Page, which displays your application barcode. You will need this barcode to apply for an interview.
15. Schedule an Appointment
16. If a link (tab) for "Schedule an Appointment" does not appear on the confirmation page, you will have to go to our appointment website yourself.
17. From the appointment website, select "Schedule an Appointment."
18. Enter the barcode from the Application Confirmation Page, printed out in Step 14. You will not be able to schedule an appointment without this barcode.
19. Choose the date and time of your interview and enter the requested information. Print the NIV Appointment Confirmation Page. You will be required to present this page, along with your Application Confirmation Page (Step 14), at the U.S. Embassy on the day of your interview.
Application and Appointments
ATTENTION: Beginning on January 1, 2016 all nonimmigrant visa applicants will be required to upload his or her own photo as part of the on line application process. Even if you are applying before that date, we encourage you to upload your own photo. If you are applying for a nonimmigrant visa using the DS-160 online form, upload your digital image as part of completing the online visa application form. Review the Digital Image Requirements for guidance.
Click here to fill out your Non-Immigrant Visa Application (DS-160).
Once you have finished filling out your application,you may also
schedule your appointment here. Appointment times are available Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings starting at 0800. If you have been refused a non-immigrant visa within the last six months, you may schedule a subsequent interview during the Thursday 0800 appointment slot only. Due to high volume, any appointments for previously refused applicants scheduled outside that time will be cancelled to accomodate first-time applicants or renewals.
U.S. Embassy Harare Consular Section Hours
U.S. Citizen Services (i.e. Passports, Reports of Birth Abroad)
Walk-in hours Monday -Thursday 13:30 -15:30, Friday 9:00 - 11:00, or by appointment.
Or by email to: email@example.com
Non-Immigrant Visa Inquiries
Walk-in hours - None.
Document drop-off for pending cases Monday - Thursday 10:30 -11:30.
Immigrant Visa and Visa Lottery Inquiries
Walk-in hours - None.
Document drop-off for pending cases Monday - Thursday 14:00 - 15:00.
Walk-in hours: Monday 13:30 - 15:30
Walk-in hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 13:30 - 15:30 *By appointment only
Consular Section Telephone Inquiry hours Monday - Thursday 11:00 - 12:00 and 13:30 - 16:00, Friday 9:00 - 11:30
Tel: 250-593 Ext. 4751
Please note, the Embassy is closed for routine services during U.S. and Zimbabwe holidays.