Electronic Visa Application Form instructions
The non-immigrant visa application form (DS-156) must be completed online producing an electronic visa application form (EVAF) that includes a bar code.
Effective October 1, 2006 applicants who use EVAF will be given preference in visa interview times. Effective November 1, 2006 applicants who arrive for their interview without an EVAF will not be accepted for their interview and will be sent away.
The online visa application form can be accessed by visiting this link. Filling out the application online is free and applicants can fill it out from their home, office or any public access computer terminal. Standard Chartered Bank is offering internet access for EVAF processing at all of their branches that currently schedule appointment times in Harare, Bulawayo, Masvingo and Mutare.
How to Complete an Electronic Visa Application Form
- Go to the website and click on DS-156 Non-Immigrant Visa Application.
- Enter the requested information in the appropriate fields on the form, taking care to answer all questions completely. If a particular question does not apply to your circumstances, do not leave it blank -- please write “N/A,” or “Not applicable.”
- After you have completed the form, carefully review the information for accuracy.
- Click on the “continue” button at the end of the form, and print the document. The form must be printed in black ink on letter-size white paper with no holes or perforations. Thermal paper, color paper, and light-weight fax paper with a sheen will not be accepted. The 2-D bar code that prints on the last page (page 3) must be printed legibly, with no smears or smudges.
- After you have printed the form, sign and date it, attach a photograph that meets non-immigrant visa photo specifications, and bring it to the Embassy on the morning of your visa appointment. Please submit the original printed form -- photocopies or faxes of the printed form are not acceptable.
Special notes: The program will not allow applicants to save their data; hence, when the EVAF website is closed, all applicant data will be lost. Consequently, it is important that all pages are reviewed, printed and checked for clarity at the time of form completion. Please do not fold the printed form.
System requirements: To use EVAF, your Internet browser must support 128-bit encryption and use either an ink-jet or laser printer to print the completed application form. If you are using Internet Explorer (Windows), the minimum version that will work with the EVAF site is version 5.0. If you are using Netscape, the minimum version that will work with this site is version 6.2.
You must also have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 5 installed on your computer in order to download and print the completed application form. Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, it may take several minutes to download the initial and completed copies of the form.
Electronic Visa Application (EVAF) - Frequently Asked Questions
Who should use EVAF?
Beginning November 1, 2006 all non-immigrant visas applicants should use the Electronic Visa Application Form (EVAF).The DS 156 non-immigrant visa application is available online worldwide and will be mandatory for all applicants applying for travel to the United States. The DS 157 and DS158 supplementary forms will still be collected from Standard Chartered Bank after making payment.
The online forms can be accessed from the following websites:
Why is the State Department requiring the EVAF?
When applicants use the EVAF, they help consular sections improve the visa services they provide to customers. The EVAF, which has been online for more than three years, allows for quicker and more accurate data entry. Customers do not have to wait for us to enter the data, and therefore can have their applications processed faster. Moreover, there are significant anti-fraud benefits.
What about countries like Zimbabwe where internet access is not widely available?
Just like the DV lottery, applicants are free to use public access locations, including internet cafes. Filling out the EVAF is free online. In addition, Standard Chartered Bank will be providing internet access in their offices.
I have to travel for an emergency reason. Do I need to fill out the EVAF?
Yes, in most cases, you will still need to fill out the EVAF. Call the consular section or click here
I am a diplomat/government official. Do I need to fill out the EVAF?
Yes, all applicants, including diplomats and government officials, need to use the EVAF .
I don't have Internet access at home. May I come into the consulate and fill out my form there?
Unfortunately, no. Our Embassy does not have public Internet access available. Applicants are free to use any public access Internet to include Internet cafes, libraries, schools, and select branches of Standard Chartered Bank.
Do I Have to Submit My Application in Person?
All visa applicants must appear in person to submit their visa applications and interview with a Consular officer. Applicants between the ages of 14 and 79 must also be fingerprinted. Zimbabwean government and third country national officials traveling on diplomatic or official passports are not exempt from appearing in person unless the purpose of their travel is official.