American Corners in Zimbabwe
American Corners and Educational Advising Centers in Zimbabwe
Trained staff are always available to answer questions and assist patrons in selecting materials. Persons in academic, government, NGOs and business settings in Zimbabwe. Free, open access is provided to all materials. The ACs are equipped with the latest and most accurate information available from print and electronic media. The American Corners’ collections include current reference books, DVDs, videocassettes, and periodicals. Computers with Internet access are freely available.
As part of the outreach we do in Harare, Bulawayo, Gweru, and Mutare, the Embassy operates four comprehensive EducationUSA Advising Centers housed in the Public Affairs Section and American Corners. Any prospective students resident in Zimbabwe, who are interested in furthering their studies at the undergraduate or graduate level in the United States, can visit these centers. Through the Department of State, EducationUSA offers the only comprehensive, current and accurate source of information on US higher education opportunities and assists students throughout the admission and enrollment process.
The goal of the American Corner is to provide general, substantive and accurate information about the United States to interested parties. Materials in the American Corner cover a wide range of subjects pertaining to the United States, such as its policies, society, education and culture, biography and history.
Membership for the American corners is free.
There are three American Corners in Zimbabwe:
- Reference Service: The Corners reference collections include dictionaries, directories, encyclopedias, almanacs, and college catalogs. The reference collection is best used in person, but our staff answers queries via telephone and email. Access to American Centers /Corners library service is free.
- Videocassettes and DVDs: In addition to the print collection, the Corners maintain collections of videocassettes and DVDs. Subjects covered include: health, democracy and good governance, human rights, U.S. history, U.S. culture and arts and education. Patrons may view the videos and DVDs in the American Corners.
EducationUSA: The Corners give access to EducationUSA information; hold regular introductory sessions on studying in the US.
- In Bulawayo educational advising is carried out as follows:
Introductory Group Session: Last Thursday of every month at 3 pm
New Members Orientation: 2nd Saturday of the month at 10 am
Walk-in inquiries: During opening hours
One-on-one members' sessions:Mon - Frid, from 9 am to 11 am (By appointment only)
- In Gweru, educational advising is carried out as follows:
Introductory Group Session: Last Wednesday of the month from 3 - 4:30 pm
Walk-in Inquiry: Mon - Frid from 9:30 am - 5:30 pm; and Saturdays: 9 am - 12:30 pm
US examination registration can be done through the American Corners. A lending library is available for the EducationUSA members. All ACs have outreach programs and attend career fairs at schools to inform students on the vast study opportunities in the U.S.
- In Mutare, educational advising is done as follows:
Introductory Group Session: Last Friday of the month at 2 pm.
Programs: The Corners conduct interactive programs that allow community leaders, journalists, professionals and concerned citizens to exchange their views with local and American experts in various subjects such as economics, culture, politics, and issues of current interests.
- Bulawayo AC holds a weekly Food for Thought seminar discussions every Thursday at 2pm.
- Gweru AC offers Food for Thought discussions, every Wednesdays, at 2 pm.
- Mutare conducts Food for Thought sessions every Friday at 2 pm and facilitates a story hour to pre and primary school children every Friday at 2 pm and offers computer literacy lessons to children.
Please Note: The American Corner offices are closed on Zimbabwe and US Public holidays
W.E.B. Du Bois American Corner
Bulawayo Public Library
Corner 8th Street & Fort
Tel: +263 9 882989 Cell: 0713 384 302
Face book: Bulawayo American Corner and EducationUSA